If you are an emotional eater like I am, it can be tough to break the bad habit of eating when you aren’t hungry.
The feelings that lead most often to emotional eating are stress, boredom, exhaustion, and sadness. I’ve felt all of these feelings many times since becoming a mom – and there’s nothing wrong with that. But if we want to successfully lose weight, it’s imperative that we find healthy ways to cope with these feelings besides overeating.
I’ve found that projects that occupy my hands, my mind, and my heart are the most effective at helping me overcome emotional eating. Here are some things I’ve tried that work for me:
When feeling bored:
1. Browse Pinterest.
2. Complete a craft project.
3. Drive somewhere you’ve wanted to go for a while.
4. Read a good book.
5. Clean something you’ve been ignoring.
6. Write a blog post.
7. Start a novel.
8. Catch up on blogs you’ve subscribed to and fallen behind on.
9. Train for a 5K walk!
10. Write a love letter.
When feeling tired or stressed out:
1. Play a video game.
2. Read celebrity gossip online.
3. Organize your photos.
4. Write a journal entry.
7. Sort your friends on Twitter into lists.
8. Do some yoga.
10. Complete deep breathing exercises.
When feeling blue:
1. Call a friend you haven’t spoken with in a while.
2. Dance in your living room!
3. Browse Indiegogo and find someone you would like to help like this couple.**
4. Go for a walk around your neighborhood.
5. Workout with a video game, like the Wii Fit.
6. Browse Kickstarter and find a project you want to help fund like this one.**
7. Write a poem.
8. Take care of a pet you get at a shelter like Noah’s Bark Pet Rescue.
9. Make a scrapbook.
10. Browse Kiva and find someone in a third world country whose business you can help like her.**
**One note – emotional eaters can also be emotional spenders. Helping others through online funding is a wonderful thing to do, but if you choose to do it, set yourself a reasonable limit before you start.
Have any of these strategies worked for you in the past? Are there any I’ve left out that have been successful for you?
- Saturday #30 – OC Fair!!
- Less Words Wednesday – Team Troy and KiSeong!